Juvenile Law Defense

What is Juvenile Law?

Juvenile court is part of the California superior court.

Juvenile court deals with 3 kinds of cases:

  1. Juvenile Delinquency: cases involving children that do things that would be crimes if they were done by adults.
  2. Juvenile Status Offenses: cases involving children that do things that are only against the law because they are done by children. For example, cutting school or running away from home.
  3. Juvenile Dependency (Abuse and Neglect): cases where there may be abuse or neglect in the home. The juvenile court's job is to protect the children in the family. These cases involve Child Protective Services law. In most cases children are removed from the home, taken into custody and placed with a relative (relative placement) or foster care.

What can the court do?

The juvenile court can make orders in delinquency and dependency cases.

For example, these orders can:

  • Take children from their homes;
  • Send children to live with relatives or in foster care or group homes;
  • Relinquish a parent's rights;
  • Establish new parental rights;
  • Work with other agencies to get the services the child needs; or
  • Send delinquent children to a locked facility, like a detention hall, a ranch, or the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Division of Juvenile Justice.

If the court takes a child from their home, a government agency is responsible for the child. The agency is in charge of the child's health, education, and care. The court can also order the agency to assist the parents in making their home safe for the child.

Should I have a lawyer?

Juvenile cases are very serious. They can change your life and your child's life. Know your rights and how the court works. Talk to a lawyer immediately to learn your rights. Call Juvenile Law Attorney Richard K Isles today (951) 643-3829.

What other types of Juvenile law exist?

Juvenile law issues are also not always criminal in nature. Some aspects of juvenile law are concerns related to a minor child (not an adult). Some concerns may be abuse, neglect, school truancy or underage drinking or smoking. Not all of these issues would be a crime if committed by an adult. However, because of the age of the individual, they are a concern of the court. In these cases and if merited by the situation, the court may remove the juvenile from his or her home. The juvenile may be placed in foster care or a government juvenile facility.

If the court decides to remove the juvenile from his or her home, the juvenile's parents will have the chance to be heard in court. Other than removal, the juvenile court also has the authority to order counseling for families or other social services that may assist the minor and his or her parents. If necessary, the court may also appoint a guardian ad litem to advocate for the minor and make sure that his or her best interests are being looked after.

In a dependency (abuse or neglect) case, the parent has the right to a lawyer. And, most times, the court will get a lawyer for the child. This is called court appointed counsel. Often parents who lose their children due to neglect or abuse prefer to hire independent counsel.

Experience Matters in Court

You will need a seasoned and confident attorney to stand up for your child in court. Attorney Richard K. Isles has built a reputation for strong and compassionate representation throughout Riverside and San Bernardino Counties over the last 26 years. Experienced counsel like his can make the difference in your delinquency case.

If you are facing a Child Protective Service matter, call the Law Offices of Richard K. Isles at (951) 643-3829.