Law Offices of Richard K. Isles
Contact Us Now

After divorce, family law court may grant modifications at times

After they have been issued a final divorce decree, most former spouses seek to leave the past behind them and seek a new life. However, there may arise certain circumstances when one needs to seek a modification to the orders a family law judge issued. A California resident who finds that personal situations warrant such an action may seek help in filing these petitions.

Though it is unusual for a California court to make any changes to most of these orders, there may be times when one party needs to seek relief due to changes in personal or financial circumstances. While a settlement agreement between spouses is seldom open to change, an appeal can be filed, though it must be based on the actions and decisions that occurred during a divorce trial. No new information is permitted during an appeal process. However, in matters relating to child custody and support or alimony, one party can file a petition to request a modification in some situations.

If a primary custody parent has encountered legal problems that may compromise the well-being of any children, the non-custodial parent may seek to be awarded custody -- at least on a temporary basis. Conversely, if a parent who is paying support loses his or her employment or suffers a significant loss of income that would make paying the court-ordered support impossible, then that parent may also seek to have a reduction ordered, at least in the short-term. There may be other situations that necessitate seeking a modification in some court-ordered matters.

Although obtaining a modification to an existing court order is possible, the process is not always easy. California residents interested in pursuing a modification are well advised to seek qualified professional help. An experienced family law attorney can provide guidance as to how the process works and can help facilitate these petitions.

Source: FindLaw, "Appeals and Motions to Modify the Divorce Judgment", Accessed on Oct. 27, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Learn How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

g plus g plus g plus

Riverside Office
10367 Hole Avenue
Riverside, CA 92505

Phone: 951-643-3829
Riverside Family Law Office Map

Corona Office
1101 California Avenue
Suite 207
Corona, CA 92881

Phone: 951-643-3829
Corona Family Law Office Map

Temecula Office
43533 Ridge Park Drive
Suite J
Temecula, CA 92590

Phone: 951-643-3829
Temecula Family Law Office Map